Wednesday 25 April 2012

Patchwork and Embroidered Bird Cushion

I managed to finish this cushion recently using the bird embroidery I completed back in March.

 It's pictured on a small wooden (marquetry cube pattern) table which was given to me by my grandmother many years ago. 
This is a beautiful old wicker basket I bought last week at the charity shop. It sits on a wicker stand with a storage shelf at the bottom. I'm not sure how old it is but it has been beautifully made. I wasn't overly keen on the stand at first but fell in love with the basket. I'm thinking of lining the shelf with material and maybe using it to store fabric or magazines.
 
 My daughter Becky bought the tulips to cheer herself up the other day. They are white with a pink tint and when the sun comes out (which isn't very often at the moment) they look so pretty.
   I decided to use a mixture of new and vintage fabric for the cushion cover trying to pick up some of the colours of the embroidery threads. I finished the back with a simple envelope opening using the small blue rose fabric.
The tulips are in a lovely shaped blue and green speckled 1930's vase which I picked up a few years ago at a boot sale.
Hope everyone is having a good week. 

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jacqui: I'm so happy to meet you and thank your for following my blog. I am your newest follower also. I just love hearing from and about your daughter, Becky. She is such a sweetheart and so talented..I haven't had time to go into your blog yet, but I'm looking forward to it...Happy Wednesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello sweet Jacqui! I always look forward to your lovely posts and being able to visit you! I love the gorgeous cushion you made! The embroidery is so beautiful and I love all of the pretty and cheerful fabrics you used dearest! The table your grandmother gave you is a treasure and I love the wicker basket! That was a great find! I love your idea for the stand! The tulips sweet Becky bought are beautiful! I do hope they cheered her up! They look perfect in your thrifted vase! Another wonderful find! I hope the sun comes out soon! Your embroidery is perfect! You inspire me! Have a lovely rest of the week! xo~Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jacqui!! What a beautiful pillow!! Love all the pretty fabrics and your embroidery work is amazing!! Your sweet grandma's table is such a treasure to have! Have a great night! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pillow!! and what a great idea to mix your fabrics!! I just might have to borrow this idea!!

    chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have just found you will enjoy reading your blog.Love your pillow, Lesley.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so beautiful thank you so much
    http://sewingbreakdown.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete