Saturday 26 May 2012

Allotment Update - Runner Beans, Tomatoes and Courgettes

I've been busy on the allotment the past few weeks digging, hoeing, weeding and planting. It's been so lovely to be in the sunshine and fresh air.
The French Lavender, Chives and Comfrey are flowering and it's been lovely watching the bees coming and going.

Chives and French Lavender 
Comfrey
I've staked and tied in my Broad Beans

and I earthed up my early and second early Potatoes last week. You can see in a later photo how much they have grown since.

The Onions are starting to bulk up

and I've began planting my Runner Beans.
 I had such a good crop of these last year and they also tasted lovely eaten raw straight from the bush.
I have sweet peas either end too for flowers and fragrance although they seem to be taking time to get going. 
This will be a screen of green leaves in a few months time.
I've made little wells around each plant to make watering easier. See how much the potatoes have grown (in the background) since last weeks photo. 
I planted the first of my Tomatoes on Friday.
These were given to me by a neighbour (who also has an allotment) and are a bit further on than mine as they were started off in a greenhouse. 
I've inserted small plastic pots next to each plant to make watering easier and more efficient. This really is a lovely sunny spot so I hope they do well. I just hope we aren't plagued with tomato blight on the allotment again like last year.


The same neighbour also gave me these Courgettes as my first seeds rotted in the cold, damp weather we had earlier. 
I've had a lot of problems with weeds in my raised beds so as an experiment I completely covered the existing soil with layers of damp newspaper and then topped up with fresh peat free compost. I'm hoping this might suppress the weeds long enough for the courgettes to get going. Their large leaves will then hopefully do the job.
These are some of my Jerusalem Artichokes still at home in large pots. They really need moving to the allotment soon before they get much bigger but I'm having trouble working out where to put them. They need some shelter from the wind as they can reach over 7 feet tall and as they can become quite invasive too, I need to pick the right spot.


I hope everyone has been able to get out and about and enjoy the sunshine over the weekend and I wish you all an enjoyable week ahead.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, your garden is lovely! Your hard work shows!!

    chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacqui your garden is so beautiful!! Can't wait to see your harvest!! I love lavender, and yours look so healthy and pretty!! Have a wonderful day!! xoHeather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you have been very busy! Allotment looks wonderful.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow you have been busy, looks well worth it though. i only have a small court yard but its surprising what can be grown in a small plot ;0)xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love an allotment, but time and an iffy back won't allow it. I'm going to live vicariously through yours!!
    I agree that runner beans taste so much nicer straight off the plant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello sweet Jacqui, I was so happy to hear that you were visiting me from a sunny England! Yay! I am so glad the rain has stopped! I do understand about the heat however, as it is already quite hot and humid here. I am glad to see your beautiful allotment and to know you have been able to enjoy working in it. Gardening brings such joy and it keeps us active too! Good for the body and soul! :) Your French lavender, chives, and comfrey are all gorgeous and so healthy! It is wonderful to have so many bees visit. They will keep your veggies well pollinated. All of your veggies look so beautiful and healthy too. You have everything arranged so nicely. I just love seeing it all and hearing about it. I can hardly wait to see photos of your sweet peas in bloom! Your potatoes certainly have grown a lot. How lovely of your friend to give you the tomato and courgette plants. They are growing well. Thank you for sharing your tips for watering and keeping the weeds under control. Dearest, yes, do try crochet again! I highly recommend the Cute and Easy Crochet book. Her instructions are very well written for beginners. I still have a lot to learn, but she has made it easy to get started. Also, the blog, Attic 24, has a lot of tutorials. I know you will be able to crochet! I would love to send you some of my coneflowers seed in the autumn, if I am allowed to send them into your beautiful country? Watching the bee in the Californian poppy sounds like such fun. I love to watch them too, and see all of the pollen clinging to their tiny legs. Thank you again for all of your sweet words and for always being such a kind friend. I have been feeling a bit tired lately and my heart has been bothering me more than usual, but I am thinking I just need more rest! I hope you are feeling well too! How is your sugar-free eating coming along! Have a beautiful week my friend! Much love, Paula xo

    ReplyDelete