Thursday 3 May 2012

Rhubarb and Mint Jam Recipe

Here is my recipe for Rhubarb and Mint Jam which I have adapted from my neighbours Rhubarb and Mint Jelly Recipe. As Rhubarb is low in pectin (which helps set the jam) you will need to add pectin. This is a natural ingredient derived from fruit (like apples) or use preserving sugar instead of granulated sugar. I used pectin in this recipe.


You will need a cooking thermometer and a large heavy pan (I used an old pressure cooker pan without the lid) as the mixture rises considerably as it boils. It's also helpful to have a metal ladle and a funnel.


This recipe makes approx 5 x 350g jars of jam (but this can vary). 
Place your clean jars and lids into the oven (Gas 150oC) on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper before you start. This will sterilise the jars and also preheat them preventing them from breaking when you add the hot jam. The paper lining catches any spills saving on washing up.  


Ingredients
1 kg (2 and a quarter lb) Rhubarb
1.3kg (3lb) preserving sugar or granulated sugar
Large bunch fresh mint
30ml (2 tablespoons) finely chopped fresh mint (optional)
I x 13g sachet of Pectin
200ml boiled water 


1. Using a sharp knife, cut the rhubarb into chunks and place in a large, heavy pan. 
Add the water, cover the pan with a lid and cook until the rhubarb is soft.
2. Add the sugar, pectin and the bunch of mint to the pan (I tied mine to the handle so I could remove it easily). Bring to a soft boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. 
Once the sugar is dissolved rapid boil until the jam reaches setting point (105oC/220oF). Stir occasionally to prevent burning on the bottom of the pan but be VERY careful as the mixture can spit and burn you. Remove the mint.
3. Ladle into clean, sterilised jars filling the jars as close to the brim as possible to prevent air being trapped which can cause the jam to deteriorate. Seal the jars (use oven gloves to prevent burning). If you are adding the chopped mint, leave the jam to stand for a few minutes before stirring it in and bottling up. 
As the jars cool check that the lids are still tightly on. If they have been correctly sealed they should 'pop' when the lid is opened for eating. 
Label the jars when cold.
............
Unfortunately after making this jam at the weekend I found out on Monday from my doctor that I am glucose intolerant. This means I now have to stop eating sugar in my diet as I am at risk of developing diabetes. 
I've started using a sugar alternative in my porridge in the mornings which can also be used for cooking and baking. I've read that it is suitable for jam making but doesn't have the same preservative effect as sugar so either the jam has to be stored in the fridge and eaten within 2 weeks or frozen. 
I shall give it a go next time I make a batch of jam and let you know how it turns out. I shall probably have to start making lots of other things myself as I didn't realise how many foods contain sugar like wholemeal bread and pasta sauce.



12 comments:

  1. Yummy recipe!! Thanks for sharing!! So sorry to hear about your glucose intolerance!! Could you still have honey and maple syrup? xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was told I couldn't eat honey which surprised me although I have seen it used in a few diabetic recipes so I'll have to get some more information. I've been eating lots of fruit but I've read that the body deals with natural fruit sugars in a different way to refined sugars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello sweet Jacqui, How wonderful you make your own jam! Your photos are beautiful and it looks so good! I am so sorry to hear you are glucose intolerant and that you are at a risk of developing diabetes! Bless your heart! I am really proud of you for giving up sugar! I haven't eaten sugar in over four years, as it is not allowed on the SCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet) that I am on. This diet is good for people with diabetes too. Though, honey is allowed on the SCD for a sweetener, and thankfully I tolerate it well. I am sorry you can't have honey either! I prepare all my food from scratch so that there are no illegal ingredients in what I eat. It is sad and shocking how many prepared foods have sugar in it. Thank you for your lovely comment sweet friend! You are so kind! Yes, I did make the annie dolls on the shelf in my sewing room. I love making dolls! Dearest, do take good care of yourself and keep me posted on how you are doing with avoiding sugar. I am glad you can enjoy fruit. I do too! Have you seen coconut sugar? That is supposed to be very low glycemic. You should be able to find it at the health food store. Have a beautiful Friday my lovely friend! Love, Paula xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I was doing really well eating bananas and fresh pineapple the past few days only to find out these are the fruits I should be avoiding or cutting down on. It's probably why I like them so much as they are sweet! I shall definitely try and get some coconut sugar. Is the SCD to help with your heart condition (if you don't mind me asking)?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my goodness...I'm just sure I can smell your wonderful jam simmering away! I love rhubarb! I have made rhubarb apple pie and it was so good!
    Thank you for sharing your wonderful recipe, my friend!
    Blessings,
    Carolynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for sharing- id love to try this ;0)xx great demo xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharring the recipe!! It brings back fond memories of my dad making jam on Saturdays!! It is always hard to change your diet but I'm sure you'll get used to it.

    chris

    ReplyDelete
  8. this sounds lovely! you have a really cute blog :) thanks so much for your lovely comments and following mine.
    new follower
    cheryl x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jacqui: Your jam looks yummy. I tried to leave a message to tell you how much I appreciate your sweet comments on my last post but it said that I couldn't get on, so I'm telling you here..Happy Weekend..Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacqui: Me again. I forgot to tell you thanks for naming the plant. I think you are probably right as one of my neighbors wanted a slip so I left it for her and she didn't get around to planting it right away and she said it smelled so bad that she threw it out. I really love it when it first comes up, but it gets awfully stringy after a little while. Good thing is doesn't smell while it's growing, because I've got lots of it. Thanks again..Judy

      Delete
    2. If you cut it right back after flowering you'll get a second flush of fresh leaves (and sometimes flowers) and it keeps its shape better.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the recipe! Have never made jam before; I normally find it too sweet and so don't bother eating it but, faced with a glut of rhubarb going to waste, decided to take the plunge. It's yummy. Not too sweet and the mint really lifts the flavour. Will be making another batch this weekend.

    www.chaletcristalmorillon.com

    ReplyDelete