Tuesday 8 May 2012

Shells on the Sand

This is a needlepoint I've been working on for some time now. It's called 'Shells on the Sand' and is designed by Kaffe Fassett whose work really inspires me.
 This is a picture of how the finished design should look. I think I'll probably make mine into a cushion too.
 This is another design by Kaffe Fassett which I finished a few years ago.
 I shall probably frame this one and maybe hang it with some blue & white china plates.
 Another by the same designer. This one is almost finished, I just need to complete the background colour.
Blue & White chair designed by Kaffe Fassett. Wouldn't this look lovely in front of a white wall displayed with blue & white china?
Cabbage CA
Cabbage and...
Cauliflower CAUL
Cauliflower Needlepoint Cushions both designed by Kaffe Fassett.

This is a design by Candace Bahouth. It was originally designed to be made into a tea cosy but I squared the design off so I could frame it instead. It was lovely adding the gold thread at the end (you may be able to see it if the picture is enlarged). I enjoyed this one as it was smaller and quicker to make. You can also see the overall design as you are working unlike some of the larger pieces. I might make some more using different colours. 
Victorian Flowered Heart VFLR
This is another of her designs called the 'Victorian Flowered Heart' which is really pretty.
Candace Bahouth
Both designers also do some lovely mosaic pieces. This heart is by Candace Bahouth which I absolutely adore. I must have a go at doing something similar myself. I've made a few mosaic mirrors and tables in the past but these art pieces are amazing using floral china. 
Mosaic shoe
'Fantasy shoes of broken china'
More of Candace's work can be seen at http://www.mosaicbahouth.com

This is a beautiful mosaic by Kaffe Fassett at his studio entrance. Big towering spikes of hollyhocks I think. More of Kaffe's work can be seen at 
http://www.kaffefassett.com
Two very inspiring designers.

8 comments:

  1. Your needlepoints are beautiful!! I really love the one with the roses in the background that you are still finishing!! That tea pot is pretty sweet, too!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacqui: Your needlepoint is just beautiful. You really should frame them for display. But I love the shell one and a pillow would be prefect..Happy Wednesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your needlepoint pictures are lovely - I've never tried to do it is it difficult?
    Love the blog!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Liz. Thanks for following. No they're not hard especially if you start with a pre-printed canvas like the shell picture rather than following a chart - similar to painting by numbers really. You need good light to work by though especially if there are lots of colours/tones and I find it easier than cross stitch as the canvas holes are larger (my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be)! I usually wait for the sales though as some of the kits can be quite expensive. The cheapest way is to buy your own canvas and threads and use a pattern chart from a magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my!! The needlepoints are lovely!! You are quite talented!!! I have to say the china mosaic is wonderful as well!!

    chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello sweet Jacqui, Two wonderful designers indeed. The entrance to Kaffe Fasset's studio is stunning! I love all of the needlepoints you have made and are in the processing of making. You are very talented and they will make beautiful wall hangings and cushions! I love the idea of hanging the blue and white china plates with the blue and white needlepoint. That will be lovely! The heart and shoe mosaics are so beautiful. I would love to see your mosaics! Thank you for sharing the links dearest. I hope you are having a happy day. I enjoyed your beautiful post as always! Much love, Paula

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your needlework is beautiful! Kaffe Fasset' designs and use of color are amazing. Have you ever done any of Jean Smith's pieces ? (One of my friends is an artist there.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and thanks for your lovely comment. I hadn't heard of Jean Smith but I just popped over to her website and she has some lovely flower and vegetable designs - the farmers market vegetables are great.

      Delete